Thursday, September 23, 2010

Plein Air Painting at Dusk

















Last Moments Before Dark, Oil on canvas, 14 in. x 11 in, by Sharon Guy

One of the best times to be hanging around at the beach in Florida is at sunset. I feel lucky to be able to enjoy so many of these beach sunsets. There is a period of time after the sun sinks behind the ocean and before it gets too dark to see. As I painted this on site, the horizon was still light and people looked like silhouettes. As always with plein air painting, I had to paint quickly while the light kept changing, and rely on memory. By the time I was mostly finished, I had barely enough light to work. I made a few touch-ups later in my studio. There was very little color to work with because it was cloudy, so I created a mood with various shades of grey. For more of my art visit my website at Sharon Guy Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment